Depending on the model you choose, Dodge Charger offers three premium engines — the 3.6L Pentastar® V6 – which offers world-class levels of power and fuel efficiency+; the legendary 5.7L HEMI® V8 with Fuel Saver Technology, which gives you exceptional power and maximum efficiency; and the new 6.4L HEMI V8, standard on the Dodge Charger SRT8®. This HEMI engine delivers 470 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque.
Even with elevated power numbers, the 6.4L HEMI V8 achieves an estimated increase in highway mpg+ of 25% by using a new for 2012 active valve exhaust system that allows the standard Fuel Saver Technology (four-cylinder mode) to engage over a wider rpm range for improved efficiency.
- /shared/2012/charger/performance/powertrain/primary/12_d_CHR_PERF_PWRTRN01_PRIM.jpgFeature Availability+
- /shared/2012/charger/performance/powertrain/primary/12_d_CHR_PERF_PWRTRN02_PRIM.jpgFeature Availability+
- /shared/2012/charger/performance/powertrain/primary/12_d_CHR_PERF_PWRTRN03_PRIM.jpgFeature Availability+
- FOUR-CYLINDER MODE FUEL SAVER TECHNOLOGY
Fuel Saver Technology allows the 5.7L HEMI V8 and the 6.4L HEMI V8 to switch from eight cylinders to four in highway traffic or during cruising — delivering greater fuel efficiency+,+. It utilizes sensors to detect when full power isn't necessary and shuts off four of the eight cylinders. It's performance with a conscience.
- EIGHT SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
More sophisticated than traditional five and six-speed automatics, the new available eight-speed automatic transmission with E-shifter offers refinement and comfort while achieving greater fuel efficiency and performance.
The key advantages of the eight-speed automatic include:
- The eight speeds help the engine maintain its optimal range
- Substantial efficiency is achieved in any gear, with an extremely fast locking torque converter
- Shifting occurs faster than a person can perceive it
Available with the 3.6L Pentastar V6, the powertrain delivers:
- An estimated 10% increase in fuel economy+
- An estimated 10% improvement in acceleration
- An estimated fuel economy rating of 31 hwy mpg+
- PADDLE SHIFTERS
Paddle shift technology is available with the AutoStick five-speed transmission and the eight-speed automatic, for the first time on Dodge Charger.
The steering wheel mounted paddle shifters:
- Operate the transmission like a floor-mounted shifter
- Allow you to keep both hands on the steering wheel when shifting
Fully adaptive electronic control of all shifting makes the powertrain more responsive while minimizing harshness.
The paddle shifters are available on select models with the 3.6L Pentastar V6, 5.7L and 6.4L HEMI V8 engines.