Depending on the model you choose, Dodge Challenger offers three exceptional engines - the 3.6L Pentastar® V6 - named one of Ward’s 10 Best Engines; the legendary 5.7L HEMI® V8 with Fuel Saver Technology; and the 6.4L 392 cubic inch SRT® HEMI V8, standard on the Dodge Challenger SRT8®. This HEMI engine delivers 470 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque.
For 2012, Challenger offers two transmissions - the proven standard AutoStick five-speed automatic and the available TREMEC® six-speed manual.
The five-speed automatic features new available steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters that work in tandem with the center console shifter, allowing for spirited shifting.
The TREMEC six-speed manual transmission delivers precision within the tightest tolerances.
VARIABLE VALVE TIMING
All three Challenger engines feature state-of-the-art dual Variable Valve Timing on the exhaust valves to improve fuel economy and refinement, and maximize performance.
Variable valve timing improves fuel economy+ + + + + two ways.
- It reduces the engine’s pumping energy requirements by closing the intake valve later
- It allows the engine to recycle energy instead of rejecting it as heat
Variable valve timing improves engine breathing, which improves efficiency and power.
SUPER SPORT GROUP
When paired with the available Super Sport Group, Challenger R/T models deliver exceptional performance through:
- 3.06 rear axle ratio
- Performance steering
- 4-wheel ABS performance brakes
- Performance suspension
- Steering wheel mounted shifter controls
- 245/45R20 BSW AS performance tires
- 20-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels
- Rear bodycolor spoiler
- /shared/2012/challenger/performance/powertrain/primary/12_d_CHLL_PERF_PWRTRN01_PRIM.jpgFeature Availability+
- /shared/2012/challenger/performance/powertrain/primary/12_d_CHLL_PERF_PWRTRN02_PRIM.jpgFeature Availability+
- /shared/2012/challenger/performance/powertrain/primary/12_d_CHLL_PERF_PWRTRN03_PRIM.jpgFeature Availability+
- FUEL SAVER TECHNOLOGY
Performance with a conscience: Fuel Saver Technology allows the 5.7L HEMI V8 and the 6.4L SRT HEMI V8 to switch from eight cylinders to four under light loads in highway traffic or during cruising - delivering greater fuel efficiency+ +. It utilizes sensors to detect when full power isn’t necessary and shuts off four of the eight cylinders, creating the perfect balance between jaw-dropping performance and responsible efficiency.
Variable Valve Timing is also part of the Fuel Saver Technology that helps to make Challenger’s engines even more efficient+ + + + +.
- STEERING WHEEL-MOUNTED PADDLE SHIFTERS
Paddle-shift technology is available with the AutoStick five-speed transmission for the first time on the 2012 Dodge Challenger. The steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters:
- Operate the transmission like a floor-mounted shifter
- Allow you to keep both hands on the steering wheel when shifting
- Make it possible to "stack" multiple shifts by pressing the paddle several times. The shifter will then move straight to the requested target gear position
Fully adaptive electronic control of all shifting makes the powertrain more responsive while minimizing harshness.